Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cellar & Lab Duties: (40%)
- Barrels: inventory, transport, wash, fill, empty, top monthly, identify, record location
- Sterilize tanks, hoses and pumps.
- Inspect, measure partial tanks, gas headspace.
- S02 additions to wine and must
- Safety Procedures: Confined space, tank entry, harness safety, respiratory, slip and fall
- Measure, weigh, additions and cleaning supplies.
- Operate pumps, hoses, barrel steamer, barrel washer and ozone machine.
- Cleaning floors and drains, indoor and outdoor with pressure washer.
- Lifting of heavy objects, empty barrels and cellar supplies, hoses, buckets of wine
- Winery Admin: (20%)
- Samples: gather and analyze samples or prepare for transport to offsite lab as directed by winemaker
- Documentation: maintain complete and accurate records of all cellar activities
- Assist winemaker with planning of scheduling of winery work plan
- Assist winemaker in planning for bottling
- Conduct barrel tastings and visitor tours as needed
- Attend production meetings and report and cellar status
- Equipment Operations: (20%)
- Operating of equipment on property to include:
- Pumps and hoses
- Ozone machine
- Steamer machine
- Barrel filling machine
- Small bottling line, hand bottling equipment
- Harvest Duties: (20%)
- Receive and weigh grapes
- Transport bins of grapes using fork-lift
- Sterilize pumps and hoses, crush equipment
- Perform pump-overs as directed.
- Make additions, sample tanks for QC
- Empty tanks of pomace
- Respect all safety policies and procedures, insure correct operating status of safety equipment.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises temporary and seasonal employees.
Education/Experience: High school education or equivalent; or up to five years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Ambition - The drive to achieve personal advancement
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Communication, Oral and Written - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken and written word.
- Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Safety Awareness and Accountability - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety, be responsible for personal safety and safety of others, adhere to company policies and procedures.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally) - Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs/day)
C(Constantly) - Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Stand – O, Walk – O, Sit – O, Handling/Fingering – O, Reaching Outward – O, Reaching Above Shoulder – O, Climb – N, Crawl – N, Squat or Kneel –O, Bend – O, Working at the computer - O
10 lbs or Less, F
11 – 20 lbs, F
21 – 50 lbs, F
51 – 100 lbs, O
Over 100 lbs, N
12 lbs or Less, F
13-25 lbs, F
26-40 lbs, F
41-100 lbs, O
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance)
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/tractor sounds)
Sense of Touch
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud. Employee works around dangerous, automatic machinery.
- Must be certified to drive/operate a forklift; in house training and certification will be completed as necessary to comply with Cal-OSHA regulations.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License and clean DMV record required (if applicable)
- Forklift License or knowledge is a preferred but not essential
- English and Spanish skills preferred (Bilingual)
- Wine knowledge preferred
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects of 40 pounds (1 case of wine)