Job Title: Cellar Worker
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Reports to: Production Supervisor
Job Summary: The Cellar Worker works in all facets of wine production from grape handling, crushing and fermentation, storage, and bottling.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equity Statement: All employees shall embrace the unique contributions based on the diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, experiences, and identities of each individual as we actively create and promote a company culture that is inclusive, welcoming, and supportive of all people.
All employees shall follow safe practices according to the Injury and Illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or Human Resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cellar Duties: (50%)
- Barrels: inventory, transport, wash, fill, empty, top monthly, identify, record location.
- Sterilize tanks, hoses, and pumps.
- Inspect and measure partial tanks, gas headspace.
- SO2 additions to wine in barrel.
- Safety Procedures: Confined space, tank entry, harness safety, respiratory, and fall protection.
- Measure and weigh additions and cleaning supplies.
- Clean floors with pressure washer.
- Operate pumps, hoses, barrel steamer and barrel washer, and ozone machine.
- Clean floors and drains, indoor and outdoor.
- Lift objects including empty barrels, cellar supplies, hoses, and buckets.
- Bottling: (10%)
- Place empty bottles onto bottling line, inspect labels and foils, supply bottling truck with bottling supplies.
- Lift 50 pounds (one case of full bottles) from line to pallet.
- Work in an environment with noise and eye protection.
- Equipment Operations: (20%)
- Operating of equipment on property to include:
- Crush equipment
- Pumps and hoses
- Ozone machine
- Barrel washer
- Harvest Duties: (20%)
- Receive and weigh grapes.
- Transport bins of grapes using fork-lift.
- Sterilize pumps, hoses, and crush equipment.
- Perform pump-overs as directed.
- Make additions.
- Sample tanks for QC.
- Empty tanks of pomace.
- Respect all safety policies and procedures, insure correct operating status of safety equipment.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Hourly Salary Range: $25 - $26
Education/Experience: High school education or equivalent; or up to five years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Ambition - The drive to achieve personal advancement.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Communication, Oral and Written - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken and written word.
- Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be credible in the workplace.
- Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Safety Awareness and Accountability - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety, be responsible for personal safety and safety of others, adhere to company policies and procedures.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally) - Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs/day)
C(Constantly) - Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Stand – O, Walk – O, Sit – O, Handling/Fingering – O, Reaching Outward – O, Reaching Above Shoulder – O, Climb – N, Crawl – N, Squat or Kneel –O, Bend – O, Working at the computer - O
10 lbs or Less, F
11 – 20 lbs, F
21 – 50 lbs, F
51 – 100 lbs, O
Over 100 lbs, N
12 lbs or Less, F
13-25 lbs, F
26-40 lbs, F
41-100 lbs, O
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance)
Sense of Sound (i.e., Machinery/tractor sounds)
Sense of Touch
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud. Employee works around dangerous, automatic machinery.
- Must be certified to drive/operate a forklift; in house training and certification will be completed as necessary to comply with Cal-OSHA regulations.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License and clean DMV record required (if applicable)
- Forklift License or knowledge is a preferred but not essential
- English and Spanish skills preferred (Bilingual)
- Wine knowledge preferred
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects of 50 pounds (1 case of wine)
People Operations Signature: __________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor Signature: __________________________ Date: ______________
Employee Signature: __________________________ Date: ______________
The above information is representative of the work performed in this position; however, it is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility does not exclude it from the position if the work is similar or related to the essential duties and responsibilities.