This position partners with all departments throughout the company to achieve company training and development goals, working with management and employees to provide training across a variety of subjects. This position is broad in nature, including development, planning, and coordination of initiatives which improve employee knowledge within all levels of the organization. Programs work to address and manage change, and facilitate operational initiatives (new hire onboarding, company history, mission and culture, performance management, employee engagement, wine education). This position works with all departments to establish, maintain, and educate employees in a consistent and creative manner.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or Human Resources.
Equity Statement: All employees shall embrace the unique contributions based on the diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, experiences, and identities of each individual as we actively create and promote a company culture that is inclusive, welcoming, and supportive of all people.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Team Support, Training and Development (50%)
- Responsible for new hire orientation and successfully acclimating new employees to the company.
- Develop training curriculum for all new hires that introduces them to the Company its history, products, brand portfolio, its mission statement and values.
- Partner with leaders within the organization to develop programs that are department specific and are based on need or want of that leader to further develop their team.
- Develop companywide curriculum that focuses on subjects that help develop and grow existing employees in the areas of leadership, emotional intelligence, job performance and resilience.
- Ensure legally required training is completed for all employees in the client group.
- Champion a culture that promotes employee engagement and an environment where high performance is achieved with adaptability to change.
- Work with managers through supervisory and coaching skills to promote positive and productive work environment maximizing the value of the employees.
- Provide leadership support to managers on matters regarding goal-setting, policy development and strategic implementation in support of achieving overall company goals and business growth.
- Provide recommendations, advise and coach managers regarding identifying areas for improvement for employees; Assist with developing performance improvement plans and/or developing strategies for improving employee performance
- Develop action plans that provide for continuous improvement and employee retention.
- Promoting a creative atmosphere and developing cross department creative programs.
Employee Relations and Performance Management (20%)
- Design and administer policies within the objectives and philosophy of the organization and within legal framework.
- Investigate and work with managers to recommend, develop and initiate appropriate interventions and strategies to assist with effectively addressing employee relations issues ensuring fair and equitable treatment of all employees.
- Facilitate/mediate conflict resolution with managers and employees.
- Research and evaluate workplace issues, recommending appropriate action and follow-up.
- Work with managers to determine the need for new positions, promotions, and restructures.
- Identify, evaluate and recommend updates to Company’s Employee Handbook
- Manage the client group performance management program to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within the company.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusivity (20%)
- Collaborate with all departments to develop, implement and maintain Companywide Diversity, Equality and Inclusivity training and awareness
- Organize routine meetings for employees which highlight Company standards and path toward achievement
- Partner with both external resources and internal team to identify opportunities to educate and empower staff
Compensation, Benefit, Legal and Recruitment: (5%)
- Participate in the administration of the wage and salary program to ensure equity within the company.
- Participate with developing, implementing and effectively managing budgets.
- Research employee benefits plans and vendors to identify those that present the best value.
- Negotiate with vendors and administrators for best plans, options and rates.
- Administration of human resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Identify staffing and recruiting needs; develop and execute best practices for hiring
Safety and Compliance: (5%)
- Promote safety awareness and compliance; assist management in guaranteeing a safe and secure working environment while maintaining compliance with Cal-OSHA standards.
- Work with Safety and Security Coordinator to ensure completion of training and proper reporting.
- Maintain and develop own knowledge base and understanding of regulations, industry trends, best practices, new developments and applicable laws.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate and ensure compliance of company practices
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; review and modify policies and practices to maintain compliance.
Supervisory Responsibilities: TBD
Education/Experience: Minimum of 5 years of human resources or related experience and certifications. BA degree in Human Resources/Industrial Relations, Sociology, Psychology, Business, Organizational Development
Skills: Able to maintain confidentiality. Exceptional interpersonal, communications and management skills. Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills. Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Strong presentation skills. Exceptional customer service skills. Ability to work well with all levels within the organization. Team oriented. Ability to use personal computer for developing and utilizing presentations, spreadsheets and word processing (Excel, Word). Able to handle multiple competing tasks and priorities. Spanish-speaking and writing skills are preferred.
Must have ability to make recommendation to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations or government law.
Knowledge: Knowledge of principles and practices of human resources administration; knowledge of HRIS systems and HR legal framework.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
- Communication, Oral and Written - Ability to communicate effectively with others verbally and in writing
- Conflict Resolution - Ability to deal with others in an antagonistic situation.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Empathetic - Ability to appreciate and be sensitive to the feelings of others
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Leadership - Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
- Negotiation Skills - Ability to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a tasK
- Presentation Skills - Ability to effectively present information publicly.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Team Builder - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally) - Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs/day)
C(Constantly) - Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Stand – O, Walk – O, Sit – F, Handling/Fingering – N, Reaching Outward – N, Reaching Above Shoulder – N, Climb – N, Crawl – N, Squat or Kneel –N, Bend – N, Working at the computer - C
10 lbs or Less, O
11 – 20 lbs, O
21 – 50 lbs, O
51 – 100 lbs, N
Over 100 lbs, N
12 lbs or Less, N
13-25 lbs, N
26-40 lbs, N
41-100 lbs, N
Other: Office Environment
Other: (Includes licenses, certificates, age, etc.) Must possess a valid driver’s license in the state employed. Must have an acceptable driving record, and automobile liability insurance (when using a personal vehicle on Company business). Able to travel by car and plane.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications: Wine industry and/or manufacturing human resources experience.
PHR or SPHR preferred