Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cellar Duties (95%):
- Transport, wash, fill, empty, top, and accurately identify barrels for work orders
- Clean and sanitize tanks, hoses, press, pumps, and crush equipment
- Inspect, measure partial tanks, and gas tank headspaces
- Follow safety procedures such as: confined space, fall protection, respiratory protection, hazard communication, and slips and falls
- Measure, weigh, and make additions of yeast, nutrients, and other wine and non-wine additions
- Clean floors with the pressure washer
- Clean tanks, walls, and crush equipment
- Operate pumps, hoses, barrel steamer, barrel washer, ozone machine, and crush equipment
- Evaluate fruit quality on the sorting table
- Check oxygen levels in tanks
- Pump over and punch down fermenting tanks
- Removal of pomace from fermentation tanks
- Operate and resolve potential issues on crush pad equipment including: de-stemmer, shaker table, elevators, and optical sorter.
- Unload pallets of fruit and empty fruit boxes into MOG sorter.
- Laboratory Duties (5%):
- Obtain samples requested from production staff
- Take samples of grapes, juice or wine as requested from bins, barrels, tanks, or bottles.
- Record analysis correctly
- Alert supervisor to any abnormal results or those that might risk wine quality
- Monitor equipment, calibrate, notify supervisor if out of specifications
- Understand MSDS information sheets, hazardous material handling, wear PPE
- Respect all safety policies and procedures; insure correct operating status of safety equipment
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Job Requirements: detail-oriented, curious, scientific perspective, open minded, good relationship and teamwork ability
Education/Experience: BS Degree in Fermentation Science or related International equivalent preferred; or up to three years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. A minimum of one year’s cellar experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
- Deductive Reasoning - Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Safety Awareness and Accountability - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety, be responsible for personal safety and safety of others, adhere to company policies and procedures.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally) - Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs/day)
C(Constantly) - Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Stand – O, Walk – O, Sit – O, Handling/Fingering – O, Reaching Outward – O, Reaching Above Shoulder – O, Climb – O, Crawl – N, Squat or Kneel –O, Bend – O, Working at the computer - O
10 lbs or Less, F
11 – 20 lbs, F
21 – 50 lbs, F
51 – 100 lbs, O
Over 100 lbs, N
12 lbs or Less, F
13-25 lbs, F
26-40 lbs, O
41-100 lbs, O
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance)
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/tractor sounds)
Sense of Touch
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud. Employee works around dangerous, automatic machinery.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License and clean DMV record required (if applicable)
- Forklift License or knowledge is a preferred but not essential
- English and Spanish skills preferred (Bilingual)
- Wine knowledge preferred
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects of 40 pounds (1 case of wine)